quarta-feira, novembro 12, 2003

Diversity – Yet another example about borders: people that don’t know much about the Iberian Peninsula tend to think that portuguese and spanish are all the same. But they aren’t. At least to me, born and raised in the north bank of the beautiful Tejo (Tagus in english), whose stream reflects Lisbon’s brightness. Even though there is an undeniable closeness, I don’t identify myself with Spain. I feel adapted in that little triangle, stuck between big España and even bigger, huge Atlantic Ocean.

But the fact that all of us are different shouldn’t be, in itself, a barrier. Of course, it draws us apart, up to a certain extent. Nevertheless, it makes contacts interesting and worthwhile. There are lots of subjects which I do not debate with fellow portuguese; we all know about them, no use discussing them. With other nationalities, I always try to satisfy my curiosity. There is always a lot of stuff to learn from foreign people.

And that is something I’ve tried to do on and on here in Maastricht. Talk to people. Listen what they have to say. Get to know what they thing about this and that. Try to understand how they react differently to the same situation. That is probably the biggest enrichment I’ll get from this international experience. And the one I’ll cherish the most.

Uniformity sucks. I’m glad there was once a thing called Babel Tower. Which is the same as saying I’m glad there are borders.