terça-feira, novembro 25, 2003

Thou shalt not steal - First of all, do not interpret me wrong. I do think that stealing is bad, that it is immoral and a terrible habit. Like smoking. But, once in a while, you do have to bend the rules a little bit. And, if you succeed, you’ll end up with great stories to tell your grandchildren. The one I’ll look forward to tell is as follows:

It was probably cold. Nevertheless, I didn’t feel it, just a bit of wind going by my ears really fast. Miguel took the initiative. He said they should be to the right. And so we did pedal in that direction, way past the Guesthouse. But no fields appeared. Only roads, buildings, houses.

Finally I did some thinking. I remembered that I had already seen the object of our desire one day I decided to explore the surroundings. Follow me, I said, we have to take a left turn at the big roundabout where there’s a bunch of petrol stations.

And, eventually, my memory took us to the right spot, a big field near small houses. Miguel was the first to hop off his bike. He looked at the vegetables and asked me if we were looking at potatoes. It looked like it, but we weren’t sure. Only one way to find out. It turned out to be a radish. Never mind, I’ll take it anyway, said my accomplice.

But we weren’t there for radishes. So I walked a few more meters. And there they were, just if as they had been waiting for us their entire life. I pulled one out. It was heavy. Happiness invaded us as we were installing our newly acquired vegetables in Miguel’s bike.

And they tasted great with codfish.